Thanksgiving research update (Without the thanksgiving πŸ˜žπŸ˜žπŸ˜žπŸ˜žπŸ˜ž)

So I’m skipping thanksgiving this year. I’m trying to travel home less to save time and money. I am feeling a tad home sick especially now 😦 . But oh well. I don’t have a lot of content to show this week. I’ve spent a lot of time reading to for my class project and other potential projects. Although I did some work on the crater mapping.

I spent a bit of time importing the ISS map into Arc, only to realize I did it wrong because I couldn’t get the image to go under any layers. So I figured out another way of doing it, but I had a little trouble with the projection because I was working with a regular image. I ended up using the tool in Arc that lets you assign points on the picture to another point (relative to another layer). So I assigned its corners to the corners of the mosaic I already had. It sounds easy, but it’s surprising how many small issues I had thatΒ  Β made it a really annoyance. I’m also a little dissatisfied because I don’t like manually fixing the image. The result appears to be correct, but a more precise way would be preferred.

I know how wide and tall the image should be and know where the mosaic x,y points are. That’s how I originally fixed the original image. I gave it a specific size (in meters where its size was calculated size of Titan), and a point on the map (top right corner of Titan).

eq

However, I couldn’t figure out how to use this to define the size of the layer content. This is the x y coordinates on the shape files though. I said previously they were off but luckily it matches up to what you would expect.
Now, I don’t ahve a bunch of craters to show, but I have gone through and begun looking at the mapped craters in matlab and with SARTOPO and on ARC one by one. I’m erasing those that don’t make sense. Its tedious but its a work in progress.
I noticed a couple of the images may have been because the mosaic I used did not include a lower res image in mosiac I made the chart in. I also went and looked atΒ  Xanadu. I found what were called craters, but to be honest several of them were unclear in my opinion which is why I probably did not get them from the start. Either way I have now.

I’m still going through ISS but first I’m trying to check the ones I already have, using ISS too.
I’ve also spoken to my old adviser Dr. Britney Schmidt and go permission to use my undergrad research to present at the Gordon conference. I’ve written my abstract for the and am going to submit it today (unless Catherine wanted to proof read it first).
Still working on my class project as well where I am comparing river orientations with existing faults.

Thats about all I’ve got for this week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: