I’m tired I say. I need a break I say. Come back the next day…LETS DO ANOTHER READATHON!
I already discussed the books I’d like to read this month in my monthly updates, but I came across this page of readathons, and I can’t help but want to do a month long readathon for October. I already am doing my own challenge of reading Halloween themed books, so why not take it a step further. It’s undeniable that these challenges make a great motivator. Sure, I am doing #spookathon, but that is only a week. These are month long goals. No reason I can’t use the #spookathon to do this too!
The #ToTathon is a month long readathon themed around Halloween. Participants will earn points for their teams by reading and completing challenges. Points will be awarded 1 point per page. Participants can also earn points by completing challenges. I will stick with reading a couple anthologies and a few physical books if possible. What I want to do now is think about what I can read for the challenges.
Reading Challenges: 25 pts each – Cannot be combined.
- Costume Party: Read the group book: Coraline by Neil Gaiman
- This isn’t a long book, so I may read it (no commitment though). But wait, I get a cheat! I am subbing Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury for this read.
- Monster Mash: Read a book that has your team mascot in it
- I chose team Ghost (vs Vampires and Witches), but I have to switch to Witches. This will be White is for Witching. If I don’t read one, I’ll read the other!
- Fall Foliage: Read a book with fall colors on the cover (red, orange, yellow, or brown)
- This can be anything really. Ancestors by Brandon Massey,
- Spooky Hayride: Read a book that involves a trip or quest
- I can’t think of anything for this or anything that I am interested in reading, so I may skipping this one. That said, a fantasy novel that isn’t strictly horror I could read is Viscous by V.E. Schwab. This is a book I really want to read. It isn’t strictly a road trip, but two friends turn enemies battle it out, each set on a mission (i.e. QUEST).
- Done! (Click Here to read my review!)
- Corn Maze: Read a book where someone gets lost and/or finds themselves
- This is a tough one. I think the closest thing to fit this is going to be Kindred, the graphic novel, by Octavia Butler. I could do Summer of Night by Dan Simmons which as a coming of age story, that ought to count as “finding” oneself.
- Black Cat: Read a book with an animal on the cover
- Mongrels, by Stephen Graham jones fits this, and it’s already on my TBR.
- Done (Click Here to read my review!)
- Spider Webs: Read a book that gives you the heebie jeebies
- I don’t have a hard choice for this. I could choose Fearful Symmetries. Is it a cheat if I already started it before this? Yes. That won’t work :(. Instead, I will use The Dark by Ellen Datlow or A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
- 10/3/19: I am half way through the Dark. I really don’t want to finish this. I’ve read half the stories and have liked one of them. That said, I am only half way and I want the points… It makes me somewhat annoyed at the challenge
- Done! (Click Here to read my review!)
- Scary Movie: Read a book and watch the movie/tv show adaptation
- I think I will read We Have Always lived in This House or reread The Haunting of Hill House both by Shirley Jackson. The former has a new film, and the latter is being released in extended edition (which I want to watch!).
- Post a video or blog about the ToTathon – 10 pts
- Done! (This post obviously)
- Post your TBR list – 5 pts
- Make a music playlist to go along with your TBR – 10pts
- Easy! I’ve got a halloween playlist and know just the right songs for each book. TBD
- Insta challenges (5 total) – 5 pts each (25 pts total)
- Secret Bookshelf Passageway: Post a shelfie (Sept 28 – Oct 4)
- Jack-o-Lantern: Post a pic of your favorite book with *glowing* reviews (Oct 5 – 11)
- Apple Orchard: Post a pic of your favorite series (Oct 12 – 18)
- BOO!: Post a pic of your favorite spooky book (Oct 19 – 25)
- TBD (It will be IT obviously)
- Costume Time: Post a pic of yourself dressed up as a literary character (Oct 26 – Nov 1)
- Easy! I’ve got so many costumes. TBD
This is the reason I had to switch to Witch/Wizard team rather than Ghosts. Each team has a trick and a treat. Ghosts can start 3 days early (I am too late for that), and they have to read it in order that they are listed above. That makes it hard to do this and the #spookathon. Therefore, I choose Witch. I have to read a book more than 500pgs (the Institute by Stephen King), and I can change any of the challenges to any book of my choice. Right now, I am changing the first prompt from Caroline to Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
Final TBR (in a rough order of
- Gather Together in My Name, Maya Angelou (finishing)
- Fearful Symmetries, by Ellen Datlow (Anthology) (finishing) ★★★★☆
- The Dark, by Ellen Datlow (Anthology) ★★★☆☆
- Viscous, by V.E. Schwab ★★★★☆
- White is for Witching, Helen Oyeyemi (#spookathon)
- Summer of Night, by Dan Simmons (#spookathon)
- The Ancestors, by Brandon Massey (Anthology) (#spookathon)
- The Institute, by Stephen King (#spookathon, )
- Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury (#spookathon)
- Mongrels, by Stephen Graham Jones ★★★★☆
We Have Always Lived in This Housereplaced by The Lottery and Other Stories, by Shirley Jackson
- A Head Full of Ghosts, Paul Tremblay
- Kindred, Octavia Butler (Graphic Novel)